This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have one of the roller style girths I used on my Percheron (when I was
looking for anything that would make it easier to saddle the big girl!!).
Having followed the directions that came with it, I never found it any easier
to tighten than a normal Western girth.

Although I certainly can't speak for your ponies, my Joe (7 year old gelding
with lots of saddle time) stumbles quite a bit when he is not paying attention
- regardless of whether I am riding him with a saddle or bareback, and
regardless of whether he is in the ring, on the street, or on the trail.  Once
I get him engaged, the stumbling disappears.  It is usually enough to just ask
him to do some simple serpentines or switch between a trot and a walk a few
times for him to register that he needs to put his brain in gear.

With respect to saddles, I tried my two Aussie saddles on him (one designed for
my Trakehner mare and one for my Percheron mare), and neither fit.  Took some
photos and his measurements to a saddler in my area who took a look and
suggested that only an Arab tree would fit him, or to go with a treeless.  I
got a treeless saddle, and will never go back!  Joe seems as comfortable in it
as in his bareback pad, and the same goes for me.  My trainer just tried it out
last week and said she had never had a more comfortable ride (not sure if it
was the saddle, or the Barca-lounger experience of riding a Fjord).  although
there is no tree, there is a fiberglass form in the front and over the cantle
to form a secure seat; the front form has a good handwidth of space over his
withers.

Kate and Joe (basically, the best pony ever)