This message is from: "Janet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi All,

I think what could have been a productive discussion on safety at the blue
earth show has gotten off on the left foot.  I have not even been to BE, but
based on the discussion here, it is safe to guess the show is going through
some growing pains, which is a good sign for the Fjord breed.  It is just a
shame some of the sugestions came accross as negative critisisms.  We really
should not be placing blame, but just opening a discussion how the show can
be made better and safer and I'm inclined to believe that is what most
really meant to do in the first place, it just did not come out that way.

regarding some of the suggestions, thank you Sara for pointing out that
horses used for farm work are trained to stand when tied back by the reins
to the implement.  It is pretty tough to run off with a plow set in the
ground with just the bit!  that training can apply to a heavy wagon with the
brakes set too.  It does appear there may be a need for a hitching rail near
the biffy's?   I mean who has -not- had to use the biffy just before their
class?  I'm sure the class will be much safer if everyone in there can
concentrate on driving <g>.   I bet that rail is handy for riders too!  As
to heading a hitched horse... I've never shown before, but heading hitched
horses is a necessity through out early training, as the driver enters or
gets out of the cart, or on the farm when training a youngster to hitch to
an implement.  If heading is a safe practice when training a young horse,
how is it  not a satisfactory way to control a trained horse, and how is a
hitching rail going to be much better?  If a horse is going to really freak
out, it will make a mess at the rail too.

Janet