This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 8/14/2005 4:41:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I also rode at the Hazard clinic with Shawna. Her mare did great. I hadnt
drug a bag of cans before on my Fjord, but had drug a small christmas tree and
large branch at previous clinics.
Thanks Pam and all who responded. We've been practicing and Knute is doing
great. I'm dragging a burlap sack full of cans from a long lead rope, while I
lead him. I'm using the clicker to reinforce good behaviors like walking
calmly,
looking at the object, sniffing it etc. He'd rather not do this, but he's
tolerating it. First I hold the rope in my hand then, when he gets used to the
idea, I put the rope over the horn of the saddle and hold the other end, so I
could let go if he spooked. He's tolerating it well, but definitely sees no
sense in being attached to noisy objects ;-). The walk-through obstacles seem
like
they won't be too hard for a Fjord, but another one I need to practice is
putting on a rain coat, from horseback.

Today I was really glad I have Fjords, and that we have great relationships.
I went for a trail ride with several people including my boss Millard, who
rode Knute while I rode Rafael. We exited the ranch property, rode in the park
for a while, then returned through a different access point, where someone
years
ago cut away the barbed wire of the old perimeter fence ... or so we thought.
The wire, cut away from the T posts, was actually lying in coils on the
ground, which Knute stepped right into. It tightened around his hind leg like a
noose, at which point I told Millard to back him up. That didn't help, in fact
he
then got his other hind leg and his tail stuck in the wire. Knute tried to
pull his feet free then, seeing this was futile, stood still and waited for us
to rescue him. It took several minutes of us moving him a few inches in each
direction, unwinding the wore, and asking him to lift each hind foot, before he
was free. I breathed a sigh of relief, knowing if this had been another horse
it could have torn its leg off in panic.

/ )_~
/L/L
Brigid Wasson
SF Bay Area, CA