This message is from: "Reena Giola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

My girlfriend's mare had the lethal white.   Most gorgeous colt we had ever
seen......and he had to be put down.  was so extremely sad.   at the time
(this was in early'97) I don't think it was talked about much in the paint
horse circle.  My friend had been into paints for awhile, but she had never
heard about it.   Her partner in the breedings is/was a paint breeder and it
was never ever mentioned.   She had bred her mare three times previous to
that.    That year, right before the birth of the colt, the APHA journal had
an article in it about Letal Whites and it was the first she had ever heard
about it.  According to the article, she had gotten the exact percentages that
the APHA says you can get on OVERO/OVERO matings (color wise....breeding
stock/colored/lethal white--think the colored ones are 50% and the other two
at 25% each).... and that is unfortunately what she got that year.

Please don't quote me on this, it's been many years since this all
happened.....all I know was it was a sad year at the barn.  And I don't think
they had a blood test then?!

By the way, not sure how many of you blanket your horses, but I have a Rambo
heavy winter blanket, size 72, that has never been used.  Got it for Gustav
when we moved from CA to MI thinking with him being older and not used to the
COLD weather, he might need it.   Well, he didn't.   If anyone is interested
in drop me an email.    We don't need it in AZ now! LOL

Reena

  This message is from: "Lisa Wiley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  Why would you breed any mare or stallion that could carry the LW gene
  without doing the blood test first?  It only cost $25 to find out if your
  horse is a carrier.