This message is from: Tamara Rousso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I adopted a paint PMU mare that was bred to a stallion that we later found out carried the lethal white gene. Fortunately my mare turned out to not be in foal, but anyone breeding paints should know that the lethal white is NOT just confined to the overos...

From a UC Davis article that can be found at http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ceh/HR20-3lethal.html:

"The lethal white disease is most often associated with the overo spotting pattern in horses, but it can occur in tobianos and toveros as well. Horses with this disease are all white and die shortly after birth due to intestinal abnormalities (similar to Hirschsprung Disease in humans). Surgical intervention has not proved successful; therefore, this condition is lethal in all cases."

The whole article is quite good.

Tamara
As of next week Applegate OR