This message is from: "Skeels, Mark A \(GE Healthcare\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ditto:  We have a stack this year over 1000 bales.  About 12 foot tall,
14 foot wide, and 60 foot long.  I stacked the top 3 rows in a inverted
V with a single width bale going down the center at the top, to form a
peaked roof.   Leaving it flat on top is a mistake I have made a few
times,  the water always settles, the wind whips the tarp and makes
small holes, and the water runs down thru the hay and makes it moldy all
over the place, if stored for any lengthily period. Even in Montana
where the climate is fairly dry.  Wisconsin was real bad if you didn't
keep it dry, mold, mold, mold.  A lot of waste/deer/cow feed.

This year I bought 6 mill plastic, comes in 100 foot rolls at home depot
for around $50.  Cheaper than tarps but you have to put rope like the
red bailing twine, across it in several spots (about every 4 foot and
around the ends in a couple spots) to keep the wind from getting under
it.  I wrapped it around the ends too so I just have one continuous
sheet starting on the ground on one end, over the top to the ground on
the other end.  The sides are exposed about 7 foot up.  On pallets.  The
pallets are a convenient spot to tie your rope.  Do it on a calm day.
Looks like a huge loaf of bread with a peak going down the center. It
will stay that way until we start feeding from it sometime in
October/November.

I found the tarps only last about 1 season then they get little tiny
holes all over them and no rain stays out.  Basically all they are good
for is shade after that.  I have also used the more expensive silver
tarps, but haven't tried the very expensive hay tarps. I figured the 6
mill plastic is cheaper than the tarps and will last as long, about 1
season, maybe more if I'm lucky.  The red bailing twine is better
because it seems to keep tight,  the natural twine tends to decay and
loosen up.

The best of course is a shed,  which is on it's way, time permitting,
after the barn, which I just poured footings for last week.  Concrete
block next for foundation, then up it goes.  My winter project.

Mark in Montana.