This message is from: "Chris McMahon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have had Elph for most of his 8 years, and have been through a variety
of feed programs.  As a result he has been at a variety of weights, and
also went through a bout of anemia last year.  The vet attributed this
to his diet, which was a nutritional mismatch - very scant (sweet) feed,
hay, all-purpose supplement, and limited pasture.  If he is on too much
pasture, he gets tubby in a hurry - to me pasture is just not an option.
Plus in my opinion the quality of the pasture was questionable - it was
not seeded, manure not spread, not limed, in other words it is left to
figure itself out.  I don't think that the sweet feed was doing him much
of anything except being tasty.  The hay was grass hay, of unknown and
variable quality.  At the vet's advice I switched him to Strategy plus
hay (Strategy is not a complete feed but requires the hay roughage), and
he has leveled out to a perfect weight (and he gets a satisfying plenty
of both!)  I hand-graze him as a treat for a good workout, and I have
recently added Hy-Flex as a supplement for joint support.

I think that unless you are getting your hay and pasture tested on a
regular basis (and hay quality can vary from bale to bale), how do you
know what you are actually feeding your horse?  The place I am boarding
is wonderfully fussy about everything for his care, but even they don't
test on a regular basis.  Several years ago Elph was at a large boarding
stable (75 or so horses) and that is the only place where the hay and a
(Strategy-type, though mixed at the mill) feed were regularly sent to
the U for testing and were adjusted accordingly - and his weight during
those two years also went from very tubby to perfect, and his health was
excellent.

So having been through many feeding ups and downs, I guess I just like
the simplicity of the concept, the lack of variability, and the fact
that he is not battling the bulge.  Hey, I wish someone would control my
feed!

Tish and Elph in Minneapolis
Elph says: and mom forgot to mention those yummy butterscotch-flavored
horse cookies I get sometimes!