[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Twenty or thirty years from now, you will be remembered as having been
> dogmatic and shortsighted. I only hope that someone within the breed wakes
> up,
> speaks up, and gets a professional second opinion on this issue.
>
> You have well illustrated the uniformed fervor and inflexibility of those
> who support the destructive practice of over-selection
.

Ruthie,

Gosh, never in the wildest stretch of my imagination did I ever think anyone,
other than my family, would remember who I was thirty years from now.
Apparently you must think someone will consider me important enough to
remember.
Thanx!

I would really like to end this discussion.  It is serving no good purpose.
However, I must correct the above emotionally charged misstatement about me
because it is 100% untrue.

Obviously you do not know me.  I lived in Libby for over 20 years and I don't
ever remember meeting you at any of the horse activities, show committee
meetings, Nordicfest meetings, etc.  Relatively speaking, you are a newcomer to
the horse world and Fjords.

I have been involved with horses for most of my life and not just Fjords.  I
have owned, trained and shown a number of top performance and halter horses
both for myself and for clients ranging from Quarter Horses to Arabs to Appys
and everything in between.  So, when I became involved with Fjords, I brought
with me the knowledge that I had gained throughout the years.

My concern over the Fjords' relatively small gene pool began MANY years ago
before I even owned any Fjords.  I observed a number of troubling things
happening.  One was that I saw breeders who sold colts as 'gelding' prospects.
Low
and behold, those colts soon were 2 and 3 years old and were not yet gelded
because their owners began thinking that they might be able to make some money
standing them as stallions.  They had no idea whether he was stallion material
or not.  Result - an over saturation of the same bloodline and a number of
inferior quality stallions in people's backyards.

The other thing that I saw happen when I was involved with Quarter Horses was
that someone would buy a son of a famous, highly campaigned stallion and
stand him around the corner at half the breeding fee, riding on the laurels of
his
famous father.

I asked myself what I could do to help correct these things?  I am just one
person, but it (personal integrity) had to start somewhere.  Mind you, this was
20 years ago so I don't think that qualifies me as dogmatic or short sighted.

When I purchased Dusty, I decided it was my responsibility to see to it that
his male offspring were gelded before I sold them.  Since our foals were
always sold as weanlings, some even before they were born, I began wondering if
it
would be harmful to geld them at an early age?  I called Dr. Erfle in
Kalispell and asked how young colts could be gelded and whether there would be
any
adverse effects.  His answer was that as long as their testicles were descended
it could be done and that, in Europe, it was often done at days old.  He said
the only thing was that would be sacrificed is neck and jowl development.
Since Fjords have plenty of both of those, I decided to proceed with gelding my
colts prior to weaning to give them time to heal before adding the stress of
taking them away from their moms.  I did this pretty much behind closed doors
and
did not make it public knowledge because at that time, it was common practice
to leave colts whole until at least 2 years of age.  Did I make the right
decision?  I hope so.  I asked myself if it would make any difference 100 years
down the road?  I don't know, but I hope so.  I hardly think that qualifies me
as 'short sighted'.

The other thing that I did was to contact Dusty's breeder.  He still had both
of Dusty's parents and was continuing to breed them.  I tried to explain the
'big picture' to him and would check in each spring to see whether he had
produced yet another full brother to Dusty.  He did.  At one time, he had a 3
year
old full brother that he had bred to a couple of mares.  ARGH!  I purchased
that one from him and gelded him immediately.  I kept hoping that that cross
would at least produce fillies since I couldn't afford to keep buying these
colts from him!  Had they been in Norway, they would have all been breakfast
sausage and I'm very glad that did not happen.  I still own this guy and he is
an
absolute love.

That breeder did sell a full brother to Misha Nogha in Cove, OR.  He did tell
Misha of my concerns.  She called me and we had a nice conversation about the
'big picture'.

Very early on in my journey with Fjords as I was trying to figure out this
part of the horse world, I had a conversation with Orville Unruh while we were
at the Blue Earth show.  I was puzzled because this was my first association
with horses outside of the mainstream breeds.  I found it to be very different.

He told me that I was simply 'ahead of my time'.  I do believe he was right.

I felt the need to send this reply as a matter of self defense, but it is
time to draw a line in the sand now.  Ruthie, if you have anything further to
say
to me, please do so privately.

Thank you.  Trying to remain factual and unemotional -

Gayle Ware
Field of Dreams
Eugene, OR
www.fjordhorse.com