This message is from: CHERYL GARNICA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

RE: possible horse mix-up
    I think I saw a case like that on Animal Court with Judge Wopner and they
brought the horse in the courtroom!

Would guess with a herd of broodmares that looked similar, would be an easy
mistake to make, and much harder to unravel in terms of registration.  I think
I would speak with the breeder with your evidence and put it in his lap if
registering mare and foal are important to you.  Pretty embarressing for the
breeder, but if reputable, think breeder would want to straighten it out for
his reputation .   Be interested to know how it comes out.

Cheryl in S. Cal

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Fjord Friends-[

I have a question for those of you experienced with breeding. We have a bit
of a mystery here on the ranch. The ranch owner, Millard, purchased a Missouri
Fox Trotter mare in February; he was told that she was bred in January and
would be due in December. I thought Millard was mistaken because I've never
heard
of a horse being bred in winter, and because she had possibly
pregnancy-induced rings on the upper half of her hooves, which doesn't make
sense if she'd
only been pregnant one month. This month, the mare, Jubilee, started to look
like she was going to give birth any minute: protruding belly, udder swollen
and
hanging down like a cow, extremely agitated and always hungry. I called the
vet to confirm my suspicions and he determined that she would give birth within
a month. He estimated her age at 7 years. I told Millard and he was baffled,
checked his paperwork and sure enough, the mare described as Jubilee was bred
and confirmed in foal January 8, 2005. The paper also says she's 15 years old.
I'm beginning to wonder if we have the wrong horse! Apparently she came from a
big herd of 20+ broodmares, and if many of them were bay...

So my questions are 1) does this happen, where someone accidentally gets the
wrong horse? and 2) could a mare appear hugely pregnant with udder swollen at
6 months?

/ )_~
/L/L
Brigid Wasson