This message is from: "Jill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Anita Unrau said she has talked to you about regestering my animals. She said that you said if we have a bill of sale on the mares and the stallion owner's consent, then we are able to regester them. Is this true? JILL Crouch ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike May, Registrar NFHR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 7:56 AM
Subject: re: evaluation scoring

This message is from: "Mike May, Registrar NFHR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 10:53 AM 7/25/2005, you wrote:
This message is from: "Ruth Bushnell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

As for Mike and Lori denying the FHI had anything to do with the idea of an evaluation scoring change, wasn't the FHI mentioned, regarding the scoring, in the Minutes of the same meeting at which the change was approved? Or did I get that wrong also? And it does follow that the FHI and the Evaluation Committee
are tied together of course and so I just assumed..? no big deal here.

It was mentioned in the same minutes you are correct. But I don't think the wording was really correct in the minutes. This change was NOT initiated by FHI. It is somewhat in line with what they do with their scores but not completely. The FHI handbook only allows for using whole numbers period. There are no half or quarter points in their scoring.

It seems to me, but there again I could be wrong, that a mathematical change
in the system after 10 or ? years is bound to be an adjustment blip in a
strategy that for all purposes should remain constant ..for instance,
statistical database cross referencing ..when we eventually reach that
inevitable potential. I foresee also, that an awful lot of time is going to be spent trying to clarify the difference in the scoring for newcomers, and those who will be researching the scores from both the rounded and unrounded. (or
are all scores from day one going to be "rounded off" as well?)

Again Ruthie - the largest change possible here is a half point in the Total. If you are basing anything on that half point you are not using the data correctly.

When this subject first surfaced, of evaluation scoring, I thought to myself it probably originated in Canada, (yup, I was right on that count) as Internet research indicates there is concerted widespread efforts in horse evaluating
up there, and not down here.. save for Icelandic's.

Hmmm, that is strange because as far as I know there has yet to be a Norwegian Fjord Evaluation in Canada. I may be wrong on that but I know for sure there hasn't been an NFHR sponsored one yet.

I did come across a site (all I know is what I read, hence I am always
grateful for contributing listers) which quotes a Dr.Ludwig Christmann,
on-line Horse Magazine, regards Hanoverians in Australia .."we feel that
breeding score values should not be the only thing the breeders base their
decisions on ..they should still have their own breeding instincts..<>..
scores are more to confirm the 'gut' feeling of the breeder." He goes on to say that you should not breed according to the numbers only ..but that each mating must be assessed as a PAIR (by looking and thinking)..and that stallion in place 15 might be a better choice for that mare than stallion number one.

Of course. Any of our Evaluators would tell you the same thing. The Evaluation system is just another tool to assist you in selecting breeding stock.

In terms of breeding I would think that individual categories are of more
significance than the aggregate score anyhow?

Absolutely.

Mike said, regards evaluation scoring, "on any given day the horse with a 70
and a horse with an 80 could be re-evaluated the next week have the scores
reversed." Makes sense to me, not to take the numbers too seriously. Does
sound something akin to gambling though doesn't it?

It isn't gambling if you have the horse prepared. I wouldn't advise taking a horse that has never been anywhere or done anything but eat out of the pasture and put it in front of the Evaluators. Now that is a gamble.

You lay your cash stake down, and if by chance you have a lucky day, you win the prize. ..having a bad day? ..you lose ..but you're always welcomed back with much cash in hand, to try, try again ..and if all of the elements that
comprise luck are in your favor..
the odds, the dealer, and you..

I don't gamble myself.. probably a poor analogy.

Yes I would say a very poor one actually.

Ruthie, nw mt US

Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry
Mike May, Executive Director & Registrar
PO Box 685
Webster, NY  14580-0685

Voice 585-872-4114
FAX 585-787-0497