Someone asked about a web site on cushings. Not all cases of cushings disease
are the same, so I'd be careful about only following information from the
internet without specific blood work and advice from your vet. I'm not an
expert but offer my unsolicited advice based on experiences I'd wish I hadn't
had.  My Hanoverian has cushings and high insulin levels but no thyroid
problems.  Thus, she is on a grass (no alfalfa) diet with low carb grain
(Triple Crown Lite). One of my trainer's horses has cushings, but his affects
his thyroid and not his insulin levels.  He's on an alfalfa diet and Triple
Crown Senior. Both are on pergolite (sp?) and mine is also on chromium.  Both
of these horses are 18 years old.  Unfortunately, I also have experience with
founder.  My appaloosa mare foundered when she got West Nile two years ago (she
had had both vaccines that year, and both the year before).  Apparently the
founder resulted from the fever related to the West Nile.  She was on styrofoam
pads for a few months, then switched to egg bar shoes with pads. At first she
was on antiinflammatories and ulcer preventatives (she'd had ulcers a few years
before that) and for about 9 mos. she was on a supplement called Equi Flo
(sp?).  Also on a grass hay (timothy) /no grain diet (had been since colic
surgery in '98).  She survived both the founder and West Nile, is 21 years old
now. She doesn't have cushings but does have high insulin levels and is on
quiessence.   The founder experience was awful, and so frightening.  It was
over a year before we could ride again, and the prognosis was uncertain that
whole time.  I limit my fjord's feed to 20 lbs grass hay a day, no grain --
definitely don't want him to get overweight to increase the chances of founder.