This message is from: ConnieBennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Our Vets did a clinic on feed, etc.

We know most of the things they went over such as no/to limited sweet feeds
not overgrazing particularly in the spring/fall when grass can be more
potent (especially here)

Older horses that cross the line (as many of us middle aged people do into
diabetes) due to genetics, stress, overfeeding, overweight whatever.....

One of the main suggestions was to not give the horses any grain based
vitamins, and only give grass hay that has been soaked in water for 30
minutes.  (Pour out the water before feeding)  The soaking removes the water
soluble carbohydrates.  Kind of an atkins diet for horses.

IN addition to our two fjords (who have no problems in this regard).  We
have a little 21 year old pony, for my grandchildren,  with an incredible
knack for escaping.

I came home after being gone most of the day, and there he was grazing with
a belly like Santa Claus.  The next few days he was very tender footed,
leaving a remarkable amount of manure.  We gave him bute for 3 days. This is
the second time it has happened with him. The Vet had his blood tested and
he came back as just into cushings.   And he's tender every time we've had
him trimmed since we've had him.

As to hope for the situation  He's been on the horse atkins diet and
yesterday he ran back and forth several times, eyeballing if he could jump
over the horse panels.  He decided against it but has been checking every
gate just incase someone slips up.

Does anyone know a source when I can look up more about Cushings?