This message is from: "Skeels, Mark A \(GE Healthcare\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I agree, and a side point that I might add. It is hard for me to see
some people give so much credit to 1 grand parent or great great grand
parent as to the reason that foal is such a great foal.  There are many
other horses in the family tree that are contributing to that foals
genetics.  Who's to say it came from that grand parent.  If you go far
enough back, your particular stallion you may be promoting could be
related to hundreds of foals, obviously some of them are going to be
champions weather or not his traits came from your lineage.  Do you
blame all the negative characteristics of the ones that aren't champions
on the in-laws? Or other side of the family tree?

You can't really say things like, oh that great great great grand son
has a nice head and long stride, that came from my horse. I'm sure there
are plenty of other horses in that family tree that have a nice head and
long stride also. Statements like that belittle all the other nice
horses in the registry, evaluated or not. It also belittles all the
other breeders that have tried to keep the breed as good as they can
thru selective breeding.

I can see going to the parents, but beyond that, your just speculating
to sell. Some characteristics that show up may not be evident in either
the parents or grandparents. That is probably why we see offspring being
judged, but probably not grandchildren.

I can say one thing though, my grey horses have a grey grandfather.  And
I am pretty sure that is where it came from, because the only other
color on the mothers side that I know of is Red, so I'm pretty certain
where the grey color came from, Grandpa KARIBU.

Mark Skeels  Montana aren't in no drought no more.  And it's gonna
continue. And these reservoirs are gonna fill back up nice.