This message is from: "Reena Giola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Cheryl

thanks for bringing it up about the density.....also the richness of the hay
has to be considered.   When we moved from CA to MI the hay was much richer in
CA, so a very small flake was required....we also do it by weight.....and
after a while you can pretty much tell how much a flake
weighs...roughly........so when in MI I didn't realize how much less the
quality was......poor Gus was so hungry there as I had them feeding him a very
small amount after we arrived......then after I discovered the difference he
got a HUGE flake of hay, gosh sometimes it was up to 3 flakes, but loosely
packed and didn't weight much, nor was the hay very rich......and believe me,
he never got fat!!!

so it's not just the size of the flake, it's the quality of it and the weight
of it.

  This message is from: CHERYL GARNICA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  I am going by rule of thumb and feeding by weight, meaning feed 2% of body
wt. estimated as I do with the other horses.  The others will gain or lose
depending on season or activity.  I will adjust feed by about a pound
depending on the gain or loss.  It has worked pretty well for me with other
horses with only a few changes in feed. In my area and probably everyone
elses, the way they bale hay can be dense feed or pretty lose so weighing is
safest way to go....