This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 I am stalling him at night until spring comes for
my old guys sake.  I have had him just a week, I have
fed "copy" free choice grass hay all day in the field and
a generous portion again in his stall at night, i am giving
him 1/4 of a plastic horse scoop of 12% pellet (Prime).
He is pleasantly plump but not obese (YET!)  I know this
is an issue with Fjords from lurking here on the list most
of you comment on your chubbies.  I will not be riding or
working him until Fall since i am 5 mos pregnant now.
Any comments are welcome.

First I'd like to congratulate you on your upcoming baby!  Then on your
getting your first fjord!!!  <g>

About the feeding, if I fed my fjords like that, they'd be happy little
piglets...... until they exploded!!!!  I've had to remind my husband over and
over
again that he can NOT feed our fjords like regular horses.  It is killing them
with kindness.  Finally I think I have gotten through to him and  he is more
sensible with the feed than he used to be.  We've got about 2 acres set up for
the horses (the rest needs to be fenced) and they really eat that down, just
on two hours a day!  That is ALL they get as far as pasture.  Unless it is
late summer and it is brown and dry, they can stay out for 3-4 hours.  And have
their hay cut back a bit.

The way things work for us, and I still have to be certain that I keep them
well exercised is like this:

A thin flake of grass hay in the morning.  Then they have to wait a couple
hours before they are turned out on the pasture.  A couple hours pasture, then
into the barn.  And the horses that I'm going to exercise are exercised.  Brush
them, and then give them MAYBE a half a flake of hay.  Then they wait several
more hours till dinner where they get a decent sized flake.  I try to feed
them as often as possible so we don't have to worry about ulcers.  But try to
keep their meals on the small side.

We have cob for our QH mare who is not an easy keeper, and the fjords get a
handful with their vitamins and Continuex.  More for taste than anything.  The
growing horses get a little more.  Maybe a cup or two.  Maximum.

Hope this helps you just a little bit.  We all have different ways of
horsekeeping, but this is what works for me.  I'm sure others will have
different
systems that work well for them and their horses too.

Have fun with your Copycat!

Pamela
Northern Holiday Horses
Welcome Polaris