-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Amy Goodloe
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 12:39 AM
To: fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com
Subject: Re: Fjord vs Haflinger

This message is from: Amy Goodloe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have two Haflingers and a Fjord, and I also used to work for a
Haflinger breeder, many many years ago, starting young horses under
saddle (an idea that baffles me today -- I'm quite sure I had no idea
what I was doing, but I had fun!)

I love both breeds, but there are some personalities within each
breed that I like better than others.  The Haflinger mare I ride the
most is very safe and I feel like I could ride her anywhere, even
though she's only three (coming four) and still fairly green.  She's
just so sensible.  If something alarms her she may perk up her ears,
but then she goes up to investigate it.  Her response to new
situations is to slow down and check everything out, which I much
prefer to a variety of other possible responses.  I've taken her on
her first trail rides and to her first dressage shows and she was a
star, often scoring higher than other horses because she was so
obedient and just did her job (she's a pretty cute mover too).  When
I got her she was barely saddle broke and had no concept of the aids,
but she caught on to the basics very quickly.  She went from being
stuck with the "parking brake" on, when I first got on, to moving
freely forward and moving all body parts when asked about a month
later.  She's a very quick learner.

She does, however, have some of that pony mischief in her, but I find
it charming, mainly b/c she is so easy to work with.  If she was
always trying to get out of work or be a nuisance under saddle, it
would get old.  She definitely views the world with a twinkle in her
eye and the equine equivalent of a smile.  She's happy go lucky.
She's also one of the heavier types of Haflinger, not the more modern
sport pony type, which personally I don't see the point of.  I'm 5'9"
so I can't ride a sport pony.

My Fjord mare is also sensible and feels safe to ride, but she
worries about more things, and her response when she's worried is to
go fast.  She feels easy to control to me (with a strong half halt),
but she's definitely not for a beginner rider, whereas a beginner
could easily ride the Haflinger.  The Fjord mare doesn't know how to
spook, but she's a little herd bound and I think that worries her a
bit (although she listens to me and behaves in the arena or out in
the pasture even when we're alone).  For a while after I bought her I
thought she was kind of stubborn, b/c I tried to teach her about the
aids (she also had no formal training when I got her) and it seemed
to me that she wouldn't listen to me and learn the lessons.  I
finally figured out that she's the type who thinks that SHE knows
what we're supposed to be doing and that the rider is the one who is
clueless, so in her mind she probably thought she was teaching ME how
she was supposed to be ridden.  With time and patience I finally
convinced her that doing things my way really was better and now she
mostly goes along with the program, although at times she reverts to
"motorcycle steering," maybe just for old times' sake.

She does not have the same pony mischief in her that my Haflinger has
(or that the Connemara ponies I used to own had), nor does she seem
as amused by life, but she is charming in her own way.  She's very
pretty, more feminine and some might say refined than a lot of Fjords
(although still plenty substantial for me to feel comfortable on),
and she loves attention.  She is always the first at the gate when I
go out to the mare pasture, although she doesn't mind too much when I
get another horse (whereas my Haflinger mare gets visibly jealous and
will try to take the lead rope out of my hand if I don't catch her in
time!)

What I like best about both mares is how sensible they are in new
situations.  I recently rode my Fjord mare through our neighborhood
for the first time, while several other people lead nervous, green
horses behind us, and the Fjord mare was a star.  Nothing fazed her,
not the sheep, donkeys, dogs, chickens, cars, bikes, or other crazy
neighborhood sights, and she just marched forward like a trooper.
At one point one of the horses being led got pretty snorty and prancy
at the sight of a white donkey and my Fjord mare casually looked
around as if to say, "what is it?  I don't see anything alarming."

I am kind of sort of in the market for a new horse, and keep thinking
about whether I'd want another Haflinger or another Fjord.  It is a
lot easier to find Haflingers and they tend to be quite a bit less
expensive, but they also tend to be smaller than is ideal for someone
my size (either too short or too slender).  In fact I have another
Haflinger mare for sale because she is only 13.2h and medium in
build, so she just feels too small for me.  It seems like it might be
easier to find a Fjord that is a good size (over 14h and at least
medium if not heavier in build), but the prices sometimes seem
unrealistic to me, unless the horse already has dressage training and
is a good mover.

If I won the lottery and could set up a breeding farm, I think I'd
probably want to breed both, b/c there are traits of each breed that
appeal to different people for different reasons.  I probably
wouldn't like every Haflinger or Fjord I meet (in fact I know I
wouldn't -- I once owned a very spooky, bolt-prone Haflinger gelding
and I've heard stories about a few Fjords I wouldn't like), but it
seems like I stand a better chance of finding the type of horse I
like to ride in those two breeds than in any other breeds I've tried.

Anyone want to trade a 13.2h Haflinger mare for a 14h+ Fjord?!  (not
likely, I know...)

--Amy

--
Camairyn Farm  ~*~  Loveland, CO