This message is from: "starfirefarm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

It would be interesting for the evaluators to be able to quantify in their
own minds the physical things that result in their perception of "presence"
as there is the possibility that we could be unconsciously moving in the
direction of the saddlebred, Morgan and Arabian world. If we are, we should
be aware of it.  It is always good to be aware of the conformation and
training techniques that we are selecting for.

Gail

I don't think there is much chance of evaluators' perception moving in the direction of the saddlebred, Morgans or Arabians. Time and time again it has been said that we are evaluating Norwegian Fjords, not other breeds. If you think of all of those 3 year old stallions that are presented in the ring at one time in Nordfjordeid (I use this as an example only because there are so many to see at one time) there are definitely a few that exude presence, yet are well mannered. There are those who have very nice overall conformation, and they might receive a breeding license, but because they lack the presence of the special few, they may not be ranked in the top three. It is most important that the horse gives an overall balanced, harmonious, impression and a horse that was too high headed would not be rewarded.

Beth

--
Starfire Farm
Beth Beymer and Sandy North

"Remember, a horse can tell you a lot of things, if you watch and expect it to be sensible and intelligent." Mary O'Hara - My Friend Flicka