This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 2/28/05 8:36:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> This message is from: "jgayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Gail,  re Dusty one of my favorite stallions.  Some years ago when you were
> riding Dusty in a show I noticed that you had a rider ride him about an hour
>
> outside to get him calmed down.  It never took the spectacular edge off this
>
> stallion but he evidently paid more attention as he won his classes.   Jean
> G.

Hi Jean,

Thank you for the compliment!  Every horse is different and it becomes our
'job', if we are going to show them, to know how to put their 'best foot
forward'.  Dusty has always been like the energizer bunny.  That horse would
drop
dead before he would ever let you know he was tired.  He just keeps giving and
giving.  However, that in itself, becomes a challenge in a show situation.  If
don't work him enough before a class, he ends up beating himself.  I remember
Wayne asked me one time if I was ever going to teach that horse how to walk -
that was right after a class when he was not tired enough yet and I was
unable to sit deep enough to get a flat footed walk out of him.  Sometimes I
think
there must have been an Icelandic somewhere in his 'woodshed'!

One particular show comes to mind.  It was a 2 day show here in Eugene.  I
entered him in English the first day and Western the second day.  It was an
Open
show.  He stood 5th in the stallion's halter out of 25.  I was pleased with
that since the judge was a QH guy.

As soon as the halter classes were over, I tacked him up and got on.  I rode
him all day, either in the warm up pen or in his classes.  When I wasn't on
him, someone else was.  That's what it takes for him.  He was his normal self
during the entire show - including trying to eat the plastic greenery in the
Trail class while maneuvering backwards through barrels.  The judge was
giggling
at him the whole time.  I was ready to smuck him!  By the way, he won!

The next day, we began all over again Western.  Rode that puppy all day.  The
very last class of the weekend was Reining.  I was tired, cold and grumpy and
just wanted to go home, but my barn 'gals' begged hard enough so I agreed to
stay.

After two days of hard riding, Dusty FINALLY settled down enough to walk into
that reining pen like he should have.  He put on a spectacular performance
and WON!  That judge kept saying things like - WISH I HAD THAT MUCH ENERGY!

Anyway, with most horses it takes a few minutes to take the edge off so that
they are ready to go to work.  With Dusty it takes a couple of DAYS!

He is definitely a challenge!

Gayle Ware
Field of Dreams
Eugene, OR