This message is from: Steve Sessoms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sheryl O <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>I had the chance to ride a Fjord on a "dude" trailride and really liked
her, but I am curious what type of horsey owner is well matched to a Fjord
versus other breeds  What I mean is, what would be a good "job description"
or attributes of a typical Fjord?   I currently ride an Appy, very pretty,
athletic and thoroughbred typey.  I love her smooth gaits, beautiful way of
moving, her energy and willingness, but I wish she wasn't quite so hot.   I
would also like shorter to make mounting easier on the trail.   I have
thought about the possibility of a little quieter horse for pleasure and
trail riding.  I have an secondary interest in driving, but couldn't ever
imagine hooking my mare up to a cart!

The one Fjord I rode was sturdy and calm, but seemed a little stubborn
perhaps.  I talked to the wranglers and they both preferred their quarter
horses but did say that the Fjords were much calmer and easier to train -
more people oriented as babies.  Can't judge a breed by one horse ridden on
a dude string though!

thanks,  Sheryl<<<

I haven't known many Fjordies well, but my two mares are as different as
night and day.  The things they do have in common are their incredible
cuteness and their absolute good naturedness.

Aagot, from Grabb/Solar lines, is very low-key, steady and easy going.
 Shari, my horse trainer, calls her my pokey little pony!  After two weeks
with Aagot I could tell she was anxious to get back to her Arabians.
 However, when Aagot is on the trail, she kicks it up a gear because she
can't wait to see what is around the bend.

My Dorina on the other hand, is the one I kiddingly tell anyone who gets on
her that she forgot to read the book about how Fjords should behave before
she was born!  She is Dutch bred, by Holunder.  She is a couple notches
hotter than Aagot, but nothing a good determined beginner can't handle most
of the time.   If she was younger I can just imagine her in the hands of
someone like Vivian Creigh because she has a "big engine" and a special
look and way of going.  Shari really enjoys working with Dorina, she is
more the type horse she likes.

I enjoy riding both horses.  So, I would say, there is enough variance in
the breed to get what you prefer with a little study and shopping.
Good luck finding a Fjordie to suit you because they are great little
horses.

Meredith Sessoms
Moulton Alabama USA
~ Dorina, NFR Aagot and little Anjee ~