This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   Hi List !

                     I have been enjoying the posts on the fat and older in
our group. While I feel responsible for starting this thread with my
mis-givings about the riding Ive just gotten back into, I had no clue that
there were so
many of us
 " over-conditioned " ladies owning Fjords. Very cool.

       Last week the training for S+R was a no brainer. We had a week indoors
where Jeff and I brought a pair of Fjords over, along with Ayla for " spooky
" training with a 4 wheel carriage. In the past, in parades, some of the
horses had problems with horsedrawn vehicles behind them, so we offered to
bring
one over and let the others see it and follow it around. They all did very
well,
in fact, although we were not esp. noisy or scary, like a large draft type
hitch could be. Ayla of course was happy to follow the carriage around with her
barn friends and by the end of the training, we were doing formations right
alongside, in front and behind it. We also did some " team building " where a
horse was set free.....and you had to catch it, dally it along and pony it back
to the group. Fun. Slow and quiet was the prefered way, cowboys didnt do so
well. <G>

       Today was a live search and use of First Aid skills. We trailered up
to 3-Peaks mountian, and staged at the base. It was 52 *, sunny, beautiful
riding weather. The information we had, was that their were 2 " runaway "
teens,
presumed lost, maybe hurt. We spread out in our grid formation and started to
look. Footprints were seen, and before too long, one of the youth was " found "
under a juniper tree 1/2 covered in brush. Only his skin color could be
visable, even close, and it showed me how easy it would be to miss someone. His
senerio was, dehydrated, laceration to his arm, but otherwise OK.

    I may be a weak rider, but 16 years as a Nurse, after 7 being a working
EMT, Im up on my medical stuff. It felt good to direct the medical part of the
rescue, as everyone wanted to move him out from under the tree and give water.
( Wrong, wrong ) Anyway, Ayla saw the boy before I did. Her heart was
pounding under her saddle, very funny ! She stood her ground and was a perfect
trail
horse.....plodding through dry creek beds and lots of sharp sage and juniper
trees. Even being " left " on the way back by others letting their horses blow
off some steam, she jigged a few steps, but walked nicely when I reminded her.
Im more and more sure that Ayla is going to be my perminent S+R horse. She is
the best overall behaved one there, with no fussy issues, will be alongside
anyone without dominent crap, does not offer any movement while I climb on
board, trailers perfect, ect. I couldnt be more proud of her after today.

      The second search was the other boy, also hidden under a tree, with a
neck injury, bleeding and in shock. Easy, easy with some simple pressure,
positioning, warming and NOT moving him after calling in our location.

     Next week we are learning how to read a GPS.

        Hopefully this will help when I get lost in the WALLMART parking

     The following week we ride in traffic down Main Street in Cedar City. I
might have a little borium put on her next set of shoes. This is WAY fun guys.
Later, Lisa Pedersen
 http://www.cedarcitysidewalk.com/pedfjord/