This message is from: "janet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Cher wrote:

But I can see one lesson
at a time is not  enough.  He needs more time, daily, with the trainer
before
he's at a stage  that I can work with him at home, alone.  He's 17 yrs old,
with years of  driving behind him - and is spooking at everything like an
inexperienced 2 yr old.   (sigh)  That's disappointing - but  something that
*can*
be trained through.

-----------

I am not a horse trainer or expert, but I did have a horse teach me about
recreational spookiness once, and I really have to wonder why, at 17 years
old, Loki is so spooky.  Horses usually mellow out, even the spooky ones by
their teens, on top of that we are talking about a Fjord, a breed with a
very long fuse.

The horse I had as a kid, was a remade horse, i.e. had some problems, and a
talented trainer remade him, then I purchased him.  One by one his 'talents'
crept up, and I had to learn how to deal with them.  One was what I call
recreational spooks.  This is where the horse wants to avoid work, or is
just simply bored, and spooks at things to manipulate the rider to giving in
to his desire.  This particular horse was barn sour, and used 'spooks' in
hopes it would mean a trip back to the barn.  Evidently someone let this
work for him once upon a time.  Initially I responded to his spooks by
soothing him only to find the spooks grew bigger. When they turned into
outright balkiness, resulting in rearing over back wards, I saught the help
of the trainer who sold him to me.  I had to learn how to deal with a
rearing horse, and to make him work hard every time he spooked.   Eventually
he realized that it was hard work to be spooky, but not until I had suffered
a couple of significant injuries.   Unfortunately it is very hard to figure
out what is a genuine spook, and what is a fake spook, so I learned to ride
all horses in a way that I give very little attention to spooks, just carry
on like nothing happened.

I have since then met a horse on a trail ride that was the master of
recreational spookiness.  He was an arab that I think was simply bored and
invented things to entertain himself, and was very inventive in finding ways
to sneak a bite of grass.  One very unique trick he had, was to pee
frequently.  I have never seen a horse do this, but he evidently learned
that the rider will allow him to stop, scratch his itches and graze a few
bites, every time he had to pee, so this horse had to pee a lot.  Like maybe
5 times in a 3 hour ride.   He also had lots of itches on his ankles, that
allowed him to also grab a bite to eat.

I have to wonder if Loki isn't a recreational spooker?  If so what is really
needed is a few techniques to learn how to make spooking unrewarding to him.
It is a shame you were hurt so badly.  The last thing you want to do is
reward a horse with rest that just dumped his rider.  If there is ever a way
to put him right back to work, so his spook goes unrewarded,  it would have
been best.

Janet