This message is from: "Birgit Mortensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Re: Digest no 269, 272 and 273

For those of you interested in breeding, what follows is a little
about the 'all important' index-figures, i.e. the figures computed
from the success of a stallion or mare's progeny, and the evaluations
in the family. This figure gives a common standard throughout our
country to guide potential breeders and set standard to when a
stallions breeding license can be taken away and when a stallion and a
mare can be entered in our Elite-studbook.

Now that this years index-figures have arrived from 'the big computer'
we can see that out of the 52 licensed breeding stallions in 2004 only
one has lost his breeding license due to the index-figures. The
stallion in question is the last active Rei Halsnaes-son, Caesar
Halsnaes.

Caesar Halsnaes is 27 years old and has been semi-retired as a
breeding stallion for some years. But he will not be forgotten. We
have 63 evaluated son and daughters of his in our database and 154
grandchildren. He has also been licensed in Germany, so there will be
offspring of his there too.

13 years ago his index was 135. Today it is 118. Breeding is about
improving, and when that happens, the younger stallions rise up the
lists, and the older ones get pushed down.

Several of you have mentioned on the digest how much you thought of
Rei Halsnaes (born 1971), and he was the 'super-stallion' in his time,
today his index is 123. He is registered with 107 evaluated sons and
daughters and 521 grandchildren, and there is no doubt that the family
has kept his index up.

Number one on today's list is Knast Halsnaes (grandfather Caesar
Halsnaes), who was sold to Sweden about 12 years ago. His index is
142. I suppose you don't know many of the Danish stallions, but some
of you might have heard about number 5 on the list Kastanjegaardens
Fernando (grandfather Knast Halsnaes), who since 2001 has been
standing at Green Valley Farm in Illinois. His index is 137.

The index-figure is always mentioned in combination with another
figure, which indicates the certainty of the index. We actually
receive two stallion-lists, the abovementioned one for the older
stallions, where the certainty level starts with 0,70 and the other
for the younger stallions (where only a few if any offspring have been
evaluated) and where the certainty level starts at 0,56.

We receive lists every year with index-figures for the foals with
evaluated parents. A foal-index is meant to tell you of the breeding
potential of the individual, and is simply an average of the parents
index-figures, and the certainty-level is low. It is not always that a
young stallions with a good initial index-figures will get a
breeding-license or that he will keep it at his second or third
evaluation.

When the colt has attended his first evaluation the certainty-level
goes up to 0,56, but it is still to be remembered that he might have
inherited his good index and may not be able to pass the qualities on
to his offspring. So what really determines the certainty level (for
good or for bad) is the number of evaluated offspring and the results
of the evaluations.

And not to forget: we have also received the 2004 index-figures for
more than 3000 evaluated mares, 3 years and older.

Hope I haven't bored you.

If you were to ask me, if all our members are interested in BLUP, the
answer is 'no'. Many have fjordhorses because they like the life with
them, they enjoy the sight of them and the foals on the pasture and
they like to ride and drive. But another group studies the
index-figures and the evaluation-descriptions, because they want the
very best if possible.

Through the stallion-evaluations we try to secure a group of good
breeding stallions available for everybody (interested in BLUP or
not).

Should you be interested in having a look at this years breeding
stallions, you will find them on www.fjordhest.dk, click the Danish
flag in the middle, and then click the left-corner below stallion
Rosendalsborken (who by the way would now be over 100 years old,
having been born in Norway in 1863).

In less than a month next years stallion directory will be published,
and there is a lot of changes due to sales to abroad and various other
factors.

Best regards from Denmark
Birgit