This message is from: "Melissa Waters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello Fjord List,

With the discussion of Secret Santa I think I finally have to come out
of my denial and realize that Christmas is indeed just around the
corner.  Over the summer I have been doing some wood working and have
some unique Fjord things for sale.  If you'd like to see them please go
to www.stixnstonz.ca and look at the 'other critters' tab.  Let me know
what you think...

Now my question...I have an 8yr old Gelding that I have had for about 2
years.  I am a novice rider and have been riding him around my property
and in the neighbor's fields a couple times a week since I got him.  He
is not what I would consider 'really responsive or supple' but he
usually listens well and we have fun when we are out together.  He was
used as a lesson horse for kids before I got him but as I later found
out he was given back to his owner because he was 'too strong' for the
children.  I suspect he was spoiled rotten cause he's cute and he is
used to having his own way.  I have been working a lot on ground
manners and not mugging for treats and this has come along quite well.
Lately I have seen a change in him that is affecting our relationship
as well.  He seems to be moving up the pecking order in our small herd
(1 arab mare and 3 mini donkeys).  He now eats first and I have seen
him chase the mare away.  When he came to live here he was definately
bottom of the food chain.  I now see him doing things that make me
think he is challenging me as well.  When I lunge him he will try to
take off and run away (I don't have a round pen so lunge him in the
pasture).  He runs a short distance (just far enough to get the line
away from me) then stops and grazes.  I have also had him give me a few
small bucks when I ask him to do something he doesn't really want to do
when I'm riding him (like canter or stop).  When my mom and I take the
horses out together for a ride he pins his ears and her mare and has
also tried to nip at her...do any of you have experience
with 'dominance' behavior in your Fjords?  Do you think I'm reading him
right?  I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions on what I should be
doing with him...

Thanks.

Melissa & Leif (ruler of the world!)
in WINDY but Warm Acme Alberta