This message is from: "Sofia Jagbrant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Here in Sweden we have got new knowledge about bits, and how big a bit should
be. I'm not a expert of this area, but I will try to explain.

We have got a couple of good vets who specialize on the horse mouth and the
bits influance of the mouth. We have one really good horse-dentist who is known
allover our country. He has just written a book about the big subject after 20
years of researching, and says that the old knowledge, who says that you should
have one cm from both sides of the bit outside the mouth, is totally wrong. A
shorter bit does that the bit is keeping on that's place, down in the mouth,
and keeping it straight. As higher the bit is in the mouth as higher is the
pressure. And this pressure is killing the mouth tissues, it does'nt take a
day, but over 70 % of all his patients have got something wrong in the mouth
becouse of the bit. A bit take absolutly smallest place in the mouth if it is
short, and of that reason will be straight in the mouth. I have a 10,5 cm bit
on my normal fjord, and that fits him well. My friend have a Newforest pony,
and he could have a 9,5 cm bit. That's not how big body t!
 he horse has, who decide what size on the bit it should have, it's the horse
mouth and the jaw.

Well, I hope some of you understood a little of my maybe, not to perfect
explainations.

Happy fall!
Sofia