This message is from: "Linda Lottie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Laurie.......the only way to really know if his feed is correct is to
check his ribs at least once a week.  I am always "checking" my
horses.......just habit.......and adjust if necessary.  As for
exercise........give youself some time off - haha!!   I don't do much
with my crew Nov, Dec and Jan.......a break for all, including me.  The
walk down the road is good........

This year I hope to get my fjords out in the snow a bit more........the
barn where I am boarding lends itself to fun in the snow.........I know
my fjords sure love being out in it.  Will have my small cart converted
to sleigh runners.

IMO........better to be a little bit "fluffy" going into winter than
thin.  Especially if horses are outside 24/7 ............. hard to add
weight in the dead of winter.

Have a great day.......MN weather today is sunny and upper 40's
Linda

>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] >Reply-To: fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com >To:
fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com >Subject: winter questions >Date: Wed, 3 Nov
2004 09:25:54 EST > >This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > >i live
in minnesota, on a small farm. it's really hard to ride more than once
>or twice a week, since it's dark when i get home, and often snowy, and i
have >no indoor to ride in. > >i am wondering how to keep oz from getting
fat. he's a big horse, but i get >concerned about his feet and
conditioning if he carries too much. right now we >have no snow, so he's
in the pasture about 5 hours a day. there's not much out >there for grass
anymore, but he finds something to nibble on. at night he's >in the dry
lot with 2-3 flakes of hay at night and a couple more in the morning
>until he's turned out into the pasture about 1 pm. when the grass is
snow >covered, obviously he will be getting hay all the time. > >is this
too much? is there anything that anyone can suggest to get exercise >for
him? sometimes i walk him down our dead end dirt road, which is pretty
good >since there are only two farms on it, so little traffic. plus, it's
flat and >easy to walk on even in the dark. > >i want to do the best by
him, but i sure dislike our minnesota winters..... > >thanks > >laurie
and oz

Rock, jazz, country, soul & more. Find the music you love on MSN Music!