This message is from: "Botte, Ernie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi All - My Fjord, Sonnie tested positive for EPSM about 3-4 years ago and
is on the hi fat
low carb diet and doing great! This Summer though, he seemed kind of
lethargic during the
marathon portion of a CDE. We had him tested - he came back anemic - his RBC
6.84, (low)
Hematocrit 28.6 (low) and hemoglobin 9.8 (low). I contacted Dr. Valentine -
she's been
helping us all along with his EPSM - she thought it might have been the
heat, hard work,
etc... I did end up putting him on a supplement "Equine; Erytho Hip" for
Anemia. He's been
on it for about 6 weeks now, I drove him yesterday - he seemed like his old
self. I will
have his blood tested again in a couple more weeks to see if it is helping.
Has anyone
every heard of the "Equine, Ertho hip"? Expensive stuff, but where I board
him, its
easier to use all powdered supplements and mix them in advance for the barn
help
rather than doing Red Cell.

On another note, does anyone on the list keep their fjords at home on a
small amount
of acreage? Like less than 2? Any insights would be helpful. We have our
house for
sale (in hopes of buying a small farm)and its not selling - may just look
into setting
up some type of "farmette" here...Thanks!!! Nancy