This message is from: "Norsk Wood Works" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This message is from Phillip Odden

I welcome the discussion regarding body form in our fjords with regards to
use. Since our horses are very dear to us, it is understandable people can be
very passionate defending their style of fjord. The fact is that different
fjord body styles exist.

I avoid the term 'type' because 'fjord type' is what makes horses within each
of these groups a fjord. We must always be searching for horses with good and
true fjord type. In our evaluation system the score for fjord type is doubled
because we think fjord type is so important to promote.

The photo of Rosendalsborken represents fjord type, never mind the body style.
Factors considered in judging fjord type would be;  head, expression (eye),
shape of neck, depth/width, Masculine / Feminine, substance of bone, harmony /
balance, proportions, and extensive primitive markings. This from Fjord Horse
International, The official Handbook for Fjord Horse Judges.

Since we have three body styles in fjords any individual within these broad
catagories can be a good example of fjord type or a poor example. My point is
that with a choice of  recognised body styles you might just as well have a
fjord that best suits your desired use.

Over and over people are asking where and how they can find a saddle to fit
their fjord horse. A fjord should have defined withers. This is suggested in
our breed standards. Mutton withers is a fault. If you come to my farm you
will see that most of my fjords have defined withers because I look for and
breed  fjords with defined withers. I am certainly looking for good Fjord Type
as well but disposition and character is upper-most in my desired fjord
qualities.

I agree with Pat Holland. If you like drafty fjords then that is what you
ought to have. If you think a lighter fjord will function better for what you
desire in a horse, then fjords also come in lighter models. Think about your
function first, then choose the form of fjord you think will fit the function.
If we always look for good  FJORD TYPE in these different body forms, as well
as good conformation, we will be improving our breed and meeting the needs of
the buyers.

If you need help in recognising these qualities in your fjord then take them
them to an evaluation or buy fjords that have been evaluated and have been
scored in these different areas. The NFHR is committed to preserving the
different body styles.

 Birgit Mortensen from Denmark indicated in  #184 that the Danes have been
breeding lighter to medium fjords with good movement for over 30 years. They
started their evaluation program in 1931 for stallions and performance tests
for stallions in 1971. Americans are not influencing the fjord body style in
Europe. European fjord breeders know what they want and have been moving in
that direction for a good long while.