This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 8/14/04 1:54:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> HI Gayle,
>
> I get fly predators from the same company that you do.  While I find
> that they are certainly beneficial I am not having as good of luck with
> them as you do.  I still have to use fly traps, clean twice a day, and
> spread the manure to dry.  I'm wondering if you only put the larvae
> around where your horses are enclosed, or if you also spread the larvae
> around outside?   I'm thinking my chickens may be eating the larvae
> outside of the pens.
>
> tamara

Hi Tamara,

I do put the fly predators around my barns, on manure/compost pile, as well
as scatter them in paddocks where the horses 'deposit'.  It is quite likely
that chickens could be eating the beneficial bugs.  They recommend that you dig
small divot and place larvae there to hide them from scavenging birds as well
as putting them out in the evening, also to avoid birds eating them.

I do use the sticky fly strips inside of the barn to help catch stray flies
that do manage to hatch.  I also use a premise spray in each stall after it has
been cleaned and horses have been turned out.

This system works about as affectively as anything else I have tried.  You
never seem to be able to totally eliminate those nasty flies, but if you can
keep them down to a dull roar, you are doing good!

I have been following, with interest, the recent discussion regarding our
'use' of Fjords.  I, too, have found that the largest percentage of buyers are
looking for a been-there-done-that 'companion' horse that can be enjoyed by the
entire family from gramps to grandchildren.  Because of the Fjord's wonderful
disposition, they certainly fill the bill.

I do find that Fjords are not being taken seriously, YET, by the majority of
the horse world.  However, with the ever-increasing number of dedicated Fjord
owners who are taking their Fjords to the top of their various disciplines,
i.e., Jensens, Anne Appleby, Vivian Creigh, myself in reining and cutting, etc.

I just want to say - keep on keepin' on folks.  I look forward to the day
when someone contacts me for their next Fjord reining prospect!!!  Someday it
will happen!!

Keep up the good work everyone!!

Gayle Ware
Field of Dreams