This message is from: Rhonda Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: Chincoteague

I often stay with friends on Assateague Island, just across the way from
Chincateague, Virginia.  Just  a note I thought you might find interesting.
Yes, the fire department has the "pony swim and auction" each year, which
allows culling of the island pony herd.  In the 1980's, the herd was divided,
and there are actually 3 separate herds, to reduce too close inbreeding. Herd
mares and offspring are identified and rotated between the stallions.  The
biggest problem with introducting "new blood" is the marsh grass is very high
in salt - over the years the island ponies have developed the ability to
tolerate it. Other horses introduced onto the island aren't able to survive on
it without supplementation. R.Taylor, Straw Hat Stables