This message is from: "dfle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Has anyone experienced a scrotal hernia in a Fjord?  I had a colt born on
Sunday and he has a scrotal hernia.  We're not sure how serious it is at this
point.  We took him to a nearby Veterinarian School and they pushed his
intestines back up into his body and kept him and mom for a couple of days.
Now we are to do that three to four times daily.  We're finding they are pretty
much staying there so plan on doing it a couple times a day.  He is doing well
now and we plan to put him out to pasture with mom in the next couple of days
and just keep a close watch.

They said that possibly the ring will close some and he may not need surgery
until we geld him.  If he gets colic, then a decision will need to be made if
we do the surgery immediately.  They are hoping he can get at least six weeks
old regardless before surgery.

At the Vet School they stated this is common in draft breeds.  It's my first
one so just want others opinions or experiences.

Rosemary Fleharty
Shome Fjords

Sent via the WebMail system at cmnt1.c-magic.com