This message is from: "Jon A. Ofjord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Joanna Crell wrote:

        "My friends who are more cavalier than I use
Listerine on tails with sweet itch to great results but after a mouthful..(snip)"

I have used a mixture of Listerine and witch hazel at a 50/50 ratio with good results for sweet itch on our horse's tails. We have No-See-Ums up here (flying pepper with sabre teeth) and they really can raise a welt on me. I apply the solution with a squeeze bottle on the horse's tails and they seem relieved with the treatment and none have ever offered to kick.

I have to ask you horse people out there if any of you have ever heard of this. We run a small horse boarding operation and just received a 5 YO Tennessee Walker mare from a breeder up in Canada. As we were talking about the mare after she had been unloaded, the "breeder" stated that the mare had jumped out of their round pen, and indicated a height of about 5 feet. Then she said "So I cut her eyelashes off", as my jaw audibly dropped I asked why would you do that?!! She stated that it was an old Cowboy technique, and it kept the horses from jumping because cutting off the eyelashes eliminated their depth perception.

OK, has anybody heard about this???? I didn't say anything to her, but I just shook my head after she left. You'll have a real hard convincing me that this is true, unless you can find some basis in fact. This horse was also delivered in an emaciated condition, (body condition of about 3.5 out of 10) had never been loaded in a trailer, has never been in a stall and has been dewormed with herbal dewormers. The breeder told us the herbal dewormers changed the pH of the gut and therefore, eliminated the worms.

We've just dewormed her with Zimectrin Gold last night.

Jon & Mary Ofjord
North Coast Fjords
Grand Marais, MN 55604