This message is from: =?iso-8859-1?q?clare=20brennan?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

sorry to hear about your loss.
im from england and dont know your whereabouts? but have you considered
fostering your mare?
although your mare has lost her foal she still may be producing milk and im
sure theres a small foal somewhere that has lost its mum? not only could
fostering help someone elses little miracle, but it could also help your mare
get over her loss, just an idea?
bright blessings
clare

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

HI,
Our last mare to foal this year, went into labor last night.
She was HUGE.
Everything was going as it should. Water broke, and with in 15 min. we
started getting a peak at what was presenting itself - it wasn't a foot....it
was
an EAR. I ran in and called the vet on call, who luckly lives 15/20 min. away.
He came right out. He gets set up and goes in to reposistion the baby. He
gets the head and legs going in the right direction...but tells me he feels no
movement from the baby - he's sorry. We spend the next 5-10 min. (seemed
like forever) pulling the foal from her. When the foal is delivered, it is the
BIGGEST fjord baby I've ever seen, and it has a Red Bag Placenta. The vet said
it never presented itself first so there was no way of me knowing that. I
guess from what I've read, it normally is the first thing you see.....not the
last. This all took less then 3 hrs. from start to finish. I'm so glad I was
there to help her. I had expected her to foal out the day before and had been
checking her every hour on the hour - even through the night....so it's been a
LONG 48 hrs. for me.
I feel badly to have lost this nice BIG colt, but I feel even worse for my
mare. She was nickering and waiting for her baby to answer....and he never did.
She will be pastured, soon, with my other mare (her bestfriend) and her
week old foal. I am not sure if that's a GOOD idea or a bad one. Will it make
her miss her foal more....or help her adjust quicker? Maybe it wont matter.
??? And here I went and promised baby Fallon a playmate in a few days. I guess
you just never know. I hate to have ANY losses, but at least mom is doing
fine, and was very good and brave through the experience.
I thought I'd write and see if anyone else had experienced the "red bag"
deliver in this way.

Appreciate those normal births, and give your live foals a hug from me. I
know I WILL.

Aimee
Days End Fjords
Maine