This message is from: Tamara Rousso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Wednesday, June 16, 2004, at 02:18 PM, Bonnie Liermann wrote:

This message is from: Bonnie Liermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

So I have to ask -- how big were the dogs that the coyotes took?

My Miniature Schnauzer was about 20 lbs and it was the second attack on him in 4 years. The first time was prior to having llamas and our standard poodle saved him. The Schnauzer had puncture wounds and had to have surgery and a drain in for awhile. I think the fact that he was heavy kept the coyote from making off over the fence with him. The second time he was attacked was this past spring and I interrupted the attack. The poor little dog was mostly blind and deaf and had a lot of confusion. You could tell from the top of his head he had been drug in the dirt. He had deep puncture wounds around the throat. The kindest thing was to euthanize him.

I had a friend in Tucson that had a dog that was med size, but light weight. A coyote actually snuck up behind them while they were bike riding and grabbed her dog and ran. They pursued it so the coyote dropped the dog, but it was finally taken by a coyote it its later years.

Remember coyotes are opportunists.

Tamara Rousso
Fallbrook CA

www.algedifarm.com