This message is from: "Skeels, Mark A (MED)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I agree with you Brigid. I got a new, fancy hoof knife this year as for some
reason I couldn't get mine sharp enough, thought it was my sharpening
techniques. When my knife was new attending the college course on hoof
trimming, it cut a lot easier, on those quarter horses and arabians.

The professional farrier said he sharpens his knife about every 8 horses. He
said my new knife should be good and sharp, spent about 25 bucks for this
one, real nice curved polished blade.  My other one is a cheapy 12 dollar
model.  The new one doesn't seem any sharper than my old one.  Like cutting
iron wood, these Fjords are.

I guess I never have experienced peeling off the shedding sole with the hoof
pick, is this a condition the hoofs get in after those extended trims ;-O
Mine should have by now, if I wait too long a couple horses start to crack.
My mare Elli has real nice feet though.  She paws quite a bit and seems I
never have to really trim her much. Just a little rasp now and then. A
couple other horses will grow out real long if I don't keep up on it.
Mark

In a message dated 6/8/2004 10:57:28 AM Pacific Standard Time,