This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Jennie-

"I had the farrier out today! I saw that the last farrier (who was a student
from a local school) did a horrible job."

** Great. They did all look different lengths in the photos. I've seen high
priced farriers do rotten jobs, too, so you have to always be critical of their
work.

"We left her barefoot, to see if she will handle that,
she is a little ouchy yet. But I hope she gets over that."

** Great idea. I'm what you might call a frothing-at-the-mouth barefoot
advocate ;-) Being ouchy right after a trim isn't unusual. If you want to ride
her
right away, boots work well. I have Old Mac brand -- there are many different
kinds. You can use them as needed, and they will last a year or more.

"I thought she was overweight. Some say she isn't, but she does have rolls of
fat under her tail, I don't think that's normal! And on her crest that one
part is very thick and hard."

** There are different fat appearances. I don't know what causes each one.
Vets, maybe you can explain this? Some Fjords are just round all over, like
balloons, while others have sort of normal body shapes but those lumps on the
neck
and tail area.

"Yes, she does have some old saddle sores on her withers and under belly.
There is white patches there. At camps with low spending for programs, tack
is not
always high on the list. So you do with what you have. I know my saddle does
NOT fit her, and in time I hope to find one that will fit her better. I
prefer
western. But when I do ride, I have been riding bareback!"

** Fabulous! I just finished writing an article about saddle fitting which
will soon be published on our registry's web site, along with a list of saddle
makes popular with Fjord owners.

"How I became a Fjord owner: Well, I used to work at that camp. And always
held a special place in my heart for Bonnie. She was so good, and fun to
ride. "

** What a great story! And the price is right! Bonnie is lucky to go to a
home with someone she has a special connection with.

"But I think that last trim was more to blame for her latest lameness than
the
founder, as she has had no heat in her feet, or much of any other symptoms."

** I agree. Founder is pretty brutal and over time the feet take on a strange
appearance. If she's recovering already, it was likely just imbalanced feet.

"My plans? Well I have a 5 year old daughter that LOVES horses. I wanted a
nice gentle horse for her to learn on. And that is what Bonnie is. "

** Cool. Wish I had a Fjord when I was 5 :-)

"The guy across the road said
I should show her on the Buckskin Circuit, that she'd win ribbons. But I have
never been in a horse show."

**  At least in this area, registration is not required for entry in the
Fjord shows. You might go to the one nearest you and just watch to get an idea
of
what goes on. They are great fun with classes for all levels of experience.

"I will get more pictures up tomorrow. After her trim today, I think she
looks
much better. Maybe try a bath? I know she hasn't had one in a few years!"

Take the pictures fast, before she rolls :-)

/ )_~
/L/L
Brigid Wasson
SF Bay Area, CA