This message is from: "Jeanne Zuker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Congratulations on getting your first Fjord, I have had Olaf for 2 yrs now and
I still cannot believe it sometimes when I look out and see him "chowing" on
his hay or the grass.  I had to wait from March until August in "02 for him to
get my place ready for him.  You will love your Loki and he you.

I have both an English saddle and a western saddle.  I got the Wintec Isbell
with the CAIR system, I have the wide gullet system in it and it fits Olaf
great. The seat is full suede so I stick to it like glue and it has the added
rolls in the front (which can be removed) so my legs stay in position.

I got my Crates western saddle last fall, it has full quarterhorse tree and
the short skirt so it fits Olaf's shorter back, it doesn't rub on his
shoulders or back and it fits him wonderfully. I had to have the stirrups
shortened to fit my short legs but the saddle as a whole fits Olaf and me to a
"T".  I really love this saddle, I plan on doing trail riding for the most
part, it does have some silver on it, so you could use it in shows, but you
might want to add silver on it if you are getting a show saddle.  I know
anything with full skirt would not fit Olaf and would rub on him.  I hope this
helps.

I have heard that some of the "treeless" saddles are great for the Fjords
since they flex to the wider backs and are comfy for the rider as well but I
have no first hand experience with them.

The one thing that I was guilty of was putting the saddle too far forward, I
did this more with the western saddle then the English but now I have got the
position down.

One more thing, please get yourself a helmet if you have not already done do,
some of the new ones have added vents for better cooling, but alas, you will
still have helmet hair.lol.

I think letting someone know that there are archieves for the digest that can
be searched is great, but to suggest that since a question has been asked
before that someone should not ask questions, but rather search the archieves,
is doing that person as well as the rest of us a disservice.  We all learn by
the exchange of ideas and what has worked and not worked for some of us. Sher
came here excited about her first Fjord Loki and asked a question about
saddles, yes, she can go to the archieves but she should be able to get input
from us on her questions and not be made to feel like she should go to the
archieves before asking here. I love reading what people are riding in and how
they decided on the saddle they got and how it fits their horse and them, as
well as some mistakes they made that might save me from the same mistake. JMHO
but I think the digest is for information and questions, answers and the
exchange of ideas and I hope that does not change.

Jeanne and Olaf in
MI where today is sunny :>) but cooler, perfect to get Olaf out for a ride,
yippee!!!