This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

For those on the list that know me, I signed on about 3 years or so ago, to
learn all I could about Fjords.

I've had a couple setbacks in my savings the last two years - and had to put
off getting my own fjord in favor of taking care of priorties (like replacing
my business rig, so that the business could keep working, LOL!)

Well, yesterday we drove 4 hours north for an appointment to see a pair of
Fjords.  The 14.1 hand, 16 yr old gelding Loki (aka Buddy) is all I could ask
for!  Handsome, well mannered, and gorgeous!  (Of course, I speak with a
prejudiced eye!  ;-)

We shook hands on it, and on June 8th (when the gentleman returns from an out
of state trip) then I go to pick Loki up and bring him home.  It's an out of
state trip, so of course the usual Coggins & Health Certif. (plus brand
inspection) have to be done, but when he & his wife get back (it's their son's
Iron
Man event.)

Next question -  saddle fit?

Loki is about 100 lbs or so overweight (oink! spring grass - LOL)  To put it
bluntly, he aaaaaah has no withers - or maybe he does have some under the
"extra luggage" (grin) !   He is well broke to cart but possibly not saddle -
Ken
McNabb up in Cody, WY taught him harness work.  The seller said he's driven
him (showed me many photos, he handled well while we were there)  but not
ridden
him - said that Ken told him he'd been ridden a bit.  So, I'll send Loki to a
trainer for a "refresher" course, to help out -- I'll just be riding him most
of the time as a mountain trail horse.   *Might* invest in a cart & harness
later on, but undecided on that - right now, saddle is the main focus.

So - what sort of saddle tree do you folks use for these little round
barreled, miniscule to zip withered boys?   It's pretty clear that a semi
quarter
horse tree western saddle is NOT going to fit over my little chunky monkey's
broad back!   LOL

I know this is a many times asked question - but I appreciate any tips.  Am
thinking before he can go to a trainer, he's going to need a properly fitting
saddle (LOL!) to say the least!

Sher in Aurora, CO