This message is from: "ruth bushnell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Carol made some interesting observations concerning the contributions
mares
> make in the stallion mare mix. I have often heard that the mare
contributes
> perhaps 60%. An old horseman once told me that behind every good horse is
> good mare (mother........ Philip
==========================

The observation that Mares contribute more than the sire is based on the
additional discovery of Mitochondria, which when carefully analyzed is of
really no great importance.

I wrote to a Genetical Engineer last fall and asked him about the 50/50
ratio, if it is correct, and this is what he said....

"I agree with you, Ruth - offspring are a 50/50 mix of both parents.
However, the mother is (usually) the only parent to pass mitochondria to the
offspring. Mitochondria are a tiny fraction of the
complete genome (about 1 part in hundreds of thousands). I suspect that is
where folks get the idea that the mom provides more genetics info (but it is
very minor)."

Ruthie, nw mt