This message is from: "vz/bossmare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This is from my experience upon the arrival of a 12 year old mare who had
had several homes previous to mine.

The first week she was perfect.  She was willing to be led anywhere, was
fine being turned out alone and she was very responsive to my husband and
myself and very kind with visitors.  She had excellent manners.

The second week that all went downhill.  She started to lug ahead on the
leadrope and was a bear to lead anywhere away from the barn.  She developed
this far away look in her eye which meant she was no longer paying enough
attention to us.  About this time I turned her out with my other mare and
this made things MUCH worse.  She became almost uncontrollable away from
either the presence or sight of the other mare including in the barn in
crossties if she couldn't see the other mare's stall.  If we rode her we had
to make sure the other mare was in an adjacent paddock, otherwise she was
completely out of touch with our requests.

It took about 3 months for her to finally feel secure in her new home.  The
clinginess to the other mare was still there but had lessened and she could
be trained to respond correctly.  A little bit of clicker training helped.
Then the other mare had to be put down and I purchased a second Fjord.  I do
think the breed is magnetized to each other.  They formed an instant bond
and both became hysterical.  The new mare was more complacent but also a bit
more stubborn in her ways.

After owning the first mare for two years and the second for one year I
donated both to a handicapped riding program not because of problems with
them (I adore both of them) but because we are selling the farm and I wanted
to assure them a good home.  The same scenario played itself out.  Initially
the mares were in stalls across the aisle from each other in a barn with 12
other horses including 3 Fjords but the staff had to move one of my mares to
the far end of the barn or there was no peace when one or the other was
removed from her stall.  Now four months later both mares are working out
well in the program and the first mare who was the most problematic at first
is now considered one of their most steady mounts.  They have not put both
mares in the same class yet so we don't know how that will work out.

If I knew then what I know now I would have delayed turning the mare out
with the other mare until she had bonded and was totally obedient to us.
I'm not sure this would have prevented the problems or just delayed them but
her bond to the other mare completely eclipsed her interest and
responsiveness to us.  From various posts I've read on this list I do not
think this Fjord clannishness was unique to just my horses and I wonder if
others on the list have found that keeping their Fjords separate from other
horses helps or makes things worse.  In 30 years of owning, breeding and
boarding horses I had never run into such an obstinate and hysterical
tendency toward being herdbound in any other horse.  It's as if it's a
natural tendency that goes haywire.  Upon reflection I realized that horses
I'd had that never displayed the trait were homebreds that were raised from
birth to adult so it could be a security issue in change of home, barn,
environment.

Lois in NJ with killer windchill winds...don't miss the barn work today!