This message is from: "Karen McCarthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Here is (yet another!) post from the famous Carriage Driving List (CD-List).
It was written/posted by Linda Fairbanks.
Thought it was pretty apropo info for anyone wishing to start a horse in any
kind of carriage or draft work. Made me reflect a bit, as some folks have
criticised me in the past for "dorking" around too long, and being "soft" on
my horses before really putting them to work. ((Hey, I LIKE tailriding at
the walk/trot!))

Linda Fairbanks is an old driving friend, and she is a very good judge and
trainer to boot. Plus I think she can express her thoughts very, very well.
Read on if you will:

"..The information about the Cavalry study on how much weight horses can
pull is interesting but I must comment.  I believe that if a horse is made
to pull too much weight, he will either become balky or will break down
physically.  There are some differences between what we do and what the
Cavalry does (or did).  If a Cavalry horse pulling a caisson became lame or
sore, he would be replaced by another Cavalry horse.  If he became balky, he
would be "fixed" or replaced by another horse.  Most of us have only one or
two horses and have relationships with them.  We don't throw them away when
they are used up, but we try to get a good long career out of them before we
retire them.  Also, I think the study must have been done mostly on pairs
and fours, which allows any individual to take a brief break when his body
demands it (as noted recently by Muffy (Seaton).  The rule of thumb I use is
based on light horses at various stages in their development:  An
inexperienced driving horse or one who is not fit should stay at 50% or less
of his body weight and stay on mostly good footing.  A driving horse with 6
months to a year of steady work can increase the weight and begin to
increase the duration, the difficulty of the footing, the temperature,
humidity, etc.  It takes a long time to really harden a horse physically and
I am convinced that they break down if worked too hard too soon.  A vet I
work with advocates 600 miles of long, slow distance before any speed or
real difficulty is introduced. What this boils down to is a quiet year of
slow walk and trot on good ground for the youngster before he is dashed into
a speed or endurance contest.  The result is a confident horse who is happy
in his work.  As a public trainer, I came across many horses who were angry
or afraid about their work and I came to see it as a real shame that so many
good horses are ruined by rushing them into work.  I don't know what the
upper limit is and I think it varies with the individual horse. This is not
something that can or should be legislated, but experienced and sensitive
horse people know the responsibility they have to the horses in their care."

Karen McCarthy
Great Basin Fjords :: Carson City, Nv
www.picturetrail.com/weegees