This message is from: Kathleen Spiegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have a mule, a thoroughbred, aTB/QH cross and a Fjord.
I am enjoying the heck out of driving and riding the fjord and driving
the mule.  If I had it to do over I would stick with the mule and the
Fjord, but it is not because they are easier.    They are different and
more demanding than the more traditional horses because they both force
you to respect  their exceptional strength and their personality. In
reading the list, everyone sings the virtues of the Fjord as being very
easy.  I would suspect that they are very easy to train improperly and
that much of the reputation for being ponyish or mulish is because their
temperament is so forgiving and calm,  as owners we are willing to
forgive a lot of indiscretions and maybe do not get them to their full
potential.  For example, I have my mule driving but a professional
trainer with mule experience could not get her to round pen.  He told me
to work with her until I found the key to moving her forward on command
and then build on that, that to insist on her acting like a QH would not
work. Advice I follow on the Fjord.  For a trainer who depends on the
roundpen  method as the foundation for a training program  ( most of the
western trainers around here) she is stubborn.  To me she is a
sweetheart and as long as I respect her, I will eventually get her to
learn what I need for her to learn.    The fjord and the mule take
everything in stride but when the mood strikes, they will push to the
limit, including ground manners. When you let them know they have
overstepped, the immediate contrition is funny to watch adn they are
suddenly as pure as the driven snow.   A driving trainer at a CDE clinic
this weekend was working with me and my fjord  and four other horses and
drivers.  We were working on collection and getting the horses to work
on the bit.    He was pleasantly surprised by my Fjord and complimented
her on her way of going, walk, trot, willingness to go and was
absolutely sure she was unusual for a fjord.  He thought she was 15
hands tall.  ( she is barely 14hh) and confided that he had trained two
and was training a third fjord.  He said his experience was that they
were ponyish with ponyish gaits and the third one was either stubborn or
too smart.  Obviously some people do have this opinion and it is based
on experience.  However, as I watched him work with the five horses, he
was somewhat frustrated that he could alter the behavior of the other
four horses so fast, but it took him a longer time to figure out the
fjord. He was asking her to break at the poll and work on the bit, a
position that for this horse was very unatural - even in the pasture,
she runs like her head is a snorkle- neck straight up and head parallel
to the ground.   Once he figured out her cue, she immediately looked
beautiful and he said she could easily do an 8 or 9 on the dressage
test, but it really hurt his pride I think because  he could not use the
same tactics on the Fjord as the hotter horses.  He apologized for not
being able to do a "quick fix", as if that were expected.  I certainly
did not, I was looking for some help in figuring out what we should be
doing and was happy with the session.  I know that this is something
that we will work on slow and steady for the next couple of months.
Long story short, maybe some of the reputation is from experience and
maybe as owners and trainers we are partially responsible for that
reputation by not respecting the differences between these horses and
the more common ones and giving people the impression that all you have
to do is treat them nice and they will be instantly trained.

Just a thought