This message is from: "David  McWethy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

We have been making synthetic (combined with leather padding) harness for
eight years.  Joe Glick's comments on synthetic and on leather harness is
pretty much on the mark.  I would only add to his comment on harness forming
to the horse.  It is true to some extent that synthetic harness doesn't form
as well, but it is also true that the harness has to be made properly and
fit properly to lay properly on the horse.

It is also true, as he says, that synthetic harness has the benefits of easy
maintenance, and a much lighter weight.  Some people will still choose all
leather, but probably more today are trying synthetic.  I cannot remember
anyone who has tried it and gone back to leather.  There may be some, but I
can't remember hearing it.

For anyone considering harness, you might know, too, that many people start
out attracted to brass.  Most of them eventually have stainless hardware
instead.  I tend to advise almost everyone to start with stainless, and skip
a step.  Stainless is stronger, more durable and requires no maintenance.
Except for the few that must have brass, it is an obvious choice.  Of course
a third choice, in a less expensive harness, is chrome.  I would still
choose chrome before brass, but chrome is significantly poorer than
stainless.

Dave McWethy
Camptown Harness
www.horseharness.com