This message is from: "Arthur Rivoire" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello Everybody from Carol Rivoire at Beaver Dam Farm in Nova Scotia --

I was DELIGHTED to read Brian Jensen's post re "Raising the Standards" -
That's something I've been advocating for a lot of years.

I'd like to see the standards raised in several of areas surrounding the
Fjord
breed, and breed shows are an excellent place to begin.  Unfortunately, in
the past there's been a lot of resistance to requiring Fjord people to meet
AHSA or ADS standards at shows.

For instance, about twenty years ago, competitors at the early Vermont
Woodstock Show had a fit when they were told they could NO LONGER  ride
their dressage tests  - bareback - in an Australian saddle - in bibtop
overalls and work boots.  ---

"Why not?", they asked.  "We've done it that way in the past, and
it's the way we want to do things.  ---  It's who we are."

  Competitors at Libby complained about wearing driving aprons, gloves, and
carrying a whip.

There's been a lot of disscusion, argument, and hard feelings about these
issues.  All a big waste of time in my opinion, and also detrimental to the
breed's reputation.  --  In my opinion, if in fact, the breed does suffer
low estime in the show world, then  it could be attributed to the "free
spirits" who insisted on jeans, workboots, and  plaid shirts in the driving
classes.  --  These "show duds" no doubt complemented  the dirty harness,
scratched muddy cart,  and the dull brass the poor Fjordhorse was forced to
carry around in public.  Not to mention the horse himself who was probably
unkempt, unclipped, and untrained.

Looked at in this light, it sure as hell isn't the Fjordhorse that's lacking
quality and class ---  It's the people who insist on showing this way.  ---
However, during all these years, there have been Fjord people who have done
it right --- done it "by the book".

Afterall, folks ---  There is a tradition in showing horses.  Why not show
our horses in the best light -  Clean, trimmed, mannerly, and trained.
Fjords shown this way can compete with the best of them.

Just recently customers of ours competing at the Woodstock Show with
immaculate, well-trained, well-equiped horses were teased  for being "so
clean".

Hey folks!  That's the way it's done in the real horse world.

Yes, I'm well aware that there's lots going on in the big world of horses.
Lots of things we don't want to emulate.  However as much as that's true,
there are things we should copy in order to uphold the traditions of good
horsemanship, AND to do justice to our beautiful breed.

THINGS OTHER THAN HORSE SHOWS I'D LIKE TO SEE UPGRADED ---

*  More truly experienced horsemen/women on the Board of Directors - People
who understand how a breed organization should be run in order to Protect,
Promote & Improve the breed

*  Some sort of program or organization that would recognize breeders who
do things right -  Breeders who do it "By the Book".  --  These people need
to be recognized for running a quality operation.  They need to be
distinguished from those who don't.  --

There are breeders who run a class act, and those who don't --  And this has
very little to do with money ---
There are breeders who keep good records, and those who don't ----  There
are breeders who train their young stock, and those who don't  ----  There
are breeders who worm six times a year, and those who don't ---  Breeders
who give all necessary vaccinations, and those who don't ---  In my opinion,
THOSE WHO DO SHOULD BE RECOGNIZED -

*  Breed promotion by the NFHR -  A program that highlights performance
Fjords.  All of us who are selling Fjords (and that includes most everybody
at one time or another) deserve much more than we're getting from our
Registry.  We need BREED PROMOTION in order to PROTECT and IMPROVE the
breed.  --  What I'm saying is that if the NFHR doesn't come in soon with a
significant breed promotion program, there are going to be a lot of quality
breeders who will get tired of doing it all themselves.

Afterall, as I remember it, The Mandate of the NFHR is to Promote and
Protect & Improve the breed.  --  Let's all remind them (the NFHR) that the
time is now to Promote & Protect, because from all we hear, the Fjord breed
is in dire need of promotion ==  Promotion of it's abilities and qualities,
and Protection from an undeserved bad press.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I sat here long enough, I'm sure I could come up with a longer list of
ways to Raise our Standards.  --  However, really tightening up the breed
shows is an excellent start.

Kind Regards,  Carol Rivoire

Subject: Advocacy & Raising The Standard

> This message is from: "Ursula & Brian Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>                    .
>                   It has been our show experience to note or hear that
> Fjords were there ahead of us; and sometimes left a very negative
impression
> of the breed  to fellow competitors and the viewing public.When we or
other
> Fjord owners do a reasonable Performance folks at times are amazed that
this
> breed can actually perform to such a standard. This is one of the reasons
> have been trying to raise the standard in Fjord shows across North
America.