This message is from: john & martie bolinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Well, we did it!  Finally got the nerve up to go out with Kilar to the
parade at the Fair Hill MD races today.  Decided since he did a lot of
parading with his previous owners, this would be the best way to get
into things.  Do something he was familiar with anyway.

I had a couple bad moments when he first got out of the trailer at the
track.  He was neighing and challenging every horse he saw.  Then one of
the halflingers neighed back and he stood up taller, looked at him and
said 'Oh, OK' and that was that.

He was soooo calm and cool I could not believe he was the same terror of
the cones course I usually drive.  We led him around a little before
harnessing; he wanted to visit the coolers and picnic baskets along the
way.  when he did nothing else, we hitched and drove around so he could
look at everyone's turnouts and the big trucks and the scary bleachers
(ho hum) and the race horses and all that stuff it was just so much
boring walking around for him.

Then the line up for the parade.  No problem with Kilar, just put him
where you want him.  We were positioned on a steep hill where he had to
hold the cart in place and wait.  After a couple minutes I decided to
pull him up the hill just a little higher where it was more level but
still in line so that he could take some of the weight off, but he
didn't really seem to mind.

When we filed through the gate onto the track he gave one more hearty
neigh at a poor distracted thouroughbred and off we jogged.  The rest
was orderly mayhem.  Something evidently went wrong with the holding
pattern.  There was none.  We expected each horse to be held at the
first timber jump while the horse ahead trotted past the grandstand and
was introduced (including a nice little intro about the horse's breed
and the type of cart he was put to).  The first horse went off fine; the
2nd followed immediately after; the 3rd was not going to be left out.
The rest goes without saying.  We looked like a cross between 'Wagons
Ho' and the Ben Hur chariott races.  But Kilar was such a trooper.  He
kept his distance from the cart ahead without any fussing from me (in
fact when I tried to close up a little he told me NO! until I suggested
a couple times).  He obviously knows the proper distance.  No problems
going down the track past the grandstand except a flag snapped on one of
the jumps just after we passed it and he sort of jumped a little.  And
of course he wanted to zoom in on all the tailgate parties and picnic
lunches along the rail.  When we came back past the grandstand the 2nd
time, the crowd started clapping.  Kilar jumped a little, looked to the
side and started prancy-dancing like he knew the applause was all for
him. What a ham!

We had such a good time!  We decided not to do the trail drive after the
parade because it was so hot and Kilar is not fit for Fair Hill's UNfair
hills.  My instructor was in the cart with me as groom with calming,
helpful hints, so that helped my nerves too.  Spent all day Sunday at
the Unicorn Farm CDE in Chesapeake City MD as a timer on one of the
hazards.  In the middle of a hay field in the blazing heat!

Thanks to all on the list who gave me encouragement and helpful ideas!
Maybe I'll try the Unicorn Farm CDE next year.  We could have done the
hazards if we went very slow.  And if we were fit.  And so on.  But at
least now I know I don't have to worry about Kilar being too 'wound up'
for me.

thanks again!
Martie and Kilar in HOT muggy MD.