This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> In this case there was such an odd reaction I wonder what was going
> on.  My large Holsteiner [...] was waiting in her stall for her food.
> [...]  As I stepped into the stall with an armload of hay I tripped
> and fell, rolling as I do to prevent serious injury.  The mare was
> absolutely panicked and pressed against the wall with eyes rolling and
> there were loud snorts.  [...]  I had difficulty getting to my feet
> and she continued this hysterical manner until I finally got a
> leverage up and then she went to her hay as if nothing had happened.
>
> What kind of horse psychology is that?

I can think of two possibilities.  Others have reported that, if they
suddenly lie down on the ground out in the pasture, or drop to
hands-and-feet (whether playfully, or from a fall), their horses panic
and run away, then turn and watch from a safe distance.  I suspect
that horses catalog humans in an upright-shape, and the
on-the-ground-shape becomes a "something else", therefore "dangerous".
Your rolling, then struggling to get up was again "unusual" movements,
so she continued to be upset.  Once you were back on your feet, she
could see that "it" was just "Mom" afterall, no biggie.

The other interpretation might be that "something" somehow attacked
you and knocked you down.  If she regards you as alpha, then
"something" nasty enough to overcome you must be fearsome, indeed.
While you were down on the floor, "fighting with the monster" (trying
to stand up), she was upset.  Once you had "prevailed", and gotten
back up, all was well again.

Sure makes you wonder what goes thru those furry little brains, tho....

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
30 mi SSE of San Francisco, Calif.
-------