This message is from: "Mike May, Registrar NFHR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 03:44 PM 5/25/99 -0700, you wrote:
This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I find this a bit incredible!!  WHY did we translate it to mean "white
dun" in the first place, when it does not?  Ulsdun, as explained to me
by David Klove, means "wool dun" or "wool colored dun".  This makes
perfect sense to me, as a sheep is not truly white - wool is cream
colored, not white.  So a "wool dun" is not "white", but creamy.  I
think we might have short circuited a lot of misunderstanding had we
used the right translation in the first place.

This was setup way back long before my time I am afraid. I am not sure just who was involved in describing the colors here in North America. Strangely enough though it seems like all of the registries use the same terms.

I always refer to Line as "ulsdun" or "wool dun", not white. She, and other Ulsdun horses, are NOT white, they are creamy or wool colored. A "kvit" or "white" Fjord is just that - white.

Well perhaps "Wool Dun" would be a better term for them but it would still need an explanation if you had never seen one.

What is the bloodline of this mare, Lin?  Is she imported, or NA stock?

She is imported.  Here is her Pedigree:

LIN  N-14521  N-U-101-M
Foaled January 1, 1981
Bred by GABRIEL NAERLAND,  NAERBO, NORWAY

                SAFIR  N-1490
        HOSAR  N-1717
                METTE  N-12952
HAUGULL  N-1821