This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arthur  Rivoire)

Goodday from Carol Rivoire at Beaver Dam Farm in Nova Scotia -

>NFHR Registrar, Mike May wrote -
>

>>SOLE income from breeding Norwegian Fjords?y
>>Fjord breeders in the last  10 years, and not one of them can claim that
they
>>only breed these horses for a living.
>
>And I have probably met and talked to many more.  I don't know of any that
>make their SOLE income from Fjords either.  Not even Carol at Beaver Dam
>Farm does.  I guess I would like to hear the definition of a "Professional
>Breeder" too.  Or the definition of a "Non-Professional Breeder".  A
>"Breeder" is the owner of the mare at the time of service.  So anyone can
>be a breeder as long as you are a  owner of a mare.  Owning a stallion only
>makes you a stallion owner it doesn't make you a breeder (Professional or
>otherwise).
>
>Mike

Mike wants to know the definition of a PROFESSIONAL BREEDER.

 This confusion about definitions reminds me of CLINTON when he said -

"Depends on how you define the word 'IS', or how you define the word  -
'ALONE'."  Clinton set a new standard for definitions.

I would think the term PROFESSIONAL BREEDER would be perfectly clear.
However, I understand that from Mike's point of view as Registrar, the word
"breeder" refers to the "owner of the dam at time of service."  Yes, he/she
is the breeder of that mare, but is  the owner of one or two mares who
occasionally breeds a PROFESSIONAL BREEDER?

Here's a definition of PROFESSIONAL -

"ONE WHO HAS AN EXPERT KNOWLEDGE OF A COMPLEX DISCIPLINE, AND WHO MAKES HIS
LIVING FROM WHAT WOULD NORMALLY BE AN AVOCATION."

I AM a professional breeder.   . Revenue from our FJORD BUSINESS is the
SOLE INCOME & SUPPORT of Beaver Dam Farm.  We pay taxes on the PROFIT from
our Fjord business. ---

Mike says "not even Carol from Beaver Dam Farm can claim her sole income is
from Fjords."

 Really, Mike?  Do you know something the IRS and Revenue Canada do not?

The word "professional" is pretty well defined by the tax people,
particularly as it applies to "horse breeders" as opposed to hobbyists.
You have to be serious and convince the taxman that you are seriously in
business, working towards profit, and not  doing it as a hobby.   ---  And
despite what some people think, "profit" is not a "dirty" word.  It  is,
indeed, possible to be a concientious breeder who loves his horses, and
cares for them and uses them very well . . . and not go broke in the process.

 The "owner of the mare at the time of service" is technically the breeder
of the foal for registration purposes.  No argument from me.  However, that
certainly doesn't make that person a professional breeder.

However, I don't believe a person has to make his sole living from his
breeding business in order to be a Professional Breeder.  It's a question
of seriousness, quality of product, intent, and volume.  --  For instance,
someone who has a milk cow in his backyard is not in the Dairy Business.
Wouldn't you agree?

If you're a surgeon, and own a mare that you may breed once or twice, how
would you answer the question - "What is your profession?"  I think the
answer would be "surgeon."

If you're a lawyer, and play golf every weekend, how would you answer the
question - "What is your profession?"  Would you say "golfer?

Mike also wants to know, - What is a "non-professional breeder."  The
answer is not as clear.  Dare I say "backyard breeder" ? -(please!!! no
offense intended). -- People who have one or two mares, and breed once in
awhile.  These people are serious and knowledgeable about quality breeding.
 However, they are not breeding as a profession.   They are mare owners
---- not breeders, despite the fact that for registration purposes, they
are, indeed, classified as the "breeder" of the resulting foal.

A MANDATE FOR HORSE BREEDERS, Professional or not -

"The breeder should always strive for perfection, but in stallions, there
are no excuses."

Regards,  Carol

Carol and Arthur Rivoire
Beaver Dam Farm Fjords II