This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Arthur  Rivoire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (Arthur  Rivoire)
 > What I am talking about is an organization to
> address specific needs and
> interests of breeders. ----- As it's been pointed
> out many times by the
> NFHR, the interests and needs of the general
> membership are not always the
> same as breeders.  For instance, why should people
> who own only geldings,
> or those that have absolutely no interest in
> breeding be concerned with the
> things that vitally concern me as a breeder?  ----
>  So, what's wrong with breeders getting together in
> an organization to
> address their interests?

Carol,

If breeders form their own organization to help each other and to
better the breed through their common interest, I see nothing wrong
with a Breeders Association.  In this vein, it would be virtually the
same as our "Promotional Groups" - a group of people getting together
to do what they can to promote the breed as a whole.  These are our
"using horse" groups.  They sponsor shows, clinics, etc., to help those
who use Fjords do that better.  A "breeders' group" formed for the
purpose of putting on seminars, clinics, etc., to be better informed
about the breeding issues of the Fjord could help ALL breeders do a
good job - if the membership is not limited in anyway, ie. no exclusive
"definition of a breeder".  This would allow access to the group for
small breeders - those who have only a mare or two, no stallion on
premises, produce only a few foals, BUT want to produce only very good
foals.  The small breeder is often the one with limited resources and
limited access to advice and information.  He is the one who needs the
shared knowledge of experienced breeders in order to produce good
(sometimes great) foals.  If the needs of the smaller breeders are not
addressed, they are the ones who will be unable, often, to produce good
horses - to the detriment of the breed.  Often these small breeders are
just as passionate about the breed as the bigger breeders - they own
one or two really good mares that they either bought or raised and want
to use them to produce good foals for the breed - but they do not have
the resources to "go bigtime".  I speak from experience here.  You
would not believe how incredibly hard it is to find out ANYTHING about
Fjords - let alone find a good stallion for your prize mare - if you
are small, out of the "main loop", live on the edge of nowhere, and
have little cash resources.  Hard, yes - but not impossible!  How much
easier it would have been for us to have had some organization we could
go to for basic information.  This should  be one of the goals of any
"breeders' group" - if you ignore the little guy, it is to the
detriment of the breed.   This said, I think the idea could be
workable.  Just be careful that it does not become an exclusive "rich
man's club".

Mary
===
Mary Thurman