This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello list,

I had not heard of using apple cider vinegar for fly repellant.
However, I do know that raw apple cider fed daily to horses does help
keep flies off them - and, yes, they do get a slightly "cidery" smell
to them after a while.  Even their urine smells like cider.  I learned
about this technique last spring at the training barn where we had our
geldings.  They use raw apple cider (animal grade) and give each horse
a cupful on their morning hay - the hay is fed in corner mangers with
solid bottoms.  The horses really learn to like the taste of the cider.
 Mine missed their cider on their hay when I brought them home, so I
continued to use it.  This does repel flies - this particular barn does
not use commercial fly sprays or repellants, and I saw very few flies
in the barn or arena.  However, it only repels the flies and does
nothing about controlling the fly population, so you would need to
address that problem separately.  I'm not sure a couple of tablespoons
per horse would do the trick, but I plan to try it.  Would sure save
money if it works, as raw apple cider is not cheap, for human or animal
grade.

Mary
===
Mary Thurman