This message is from: "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I do not know if I have already mentioned this.  When I first had a
fjord his "easy keeper" qualities had me worried as my large warmbloods
required a lot of food and he gained too much eating along side them.  I
thought I was very clever to come with the idea of giving him a thyroid
booster to increase his metabolism and hence not have to separate horses
several times a day.  The vet did not quiver and gave me some medicine.
The first day went fine but the second day I had a fjord coming off the
walls.  He was jumpy and doing everything in fast motion, and not his
usual loving self. On the the third day I quit as it was obvious he was
not going to adjust, but it took Howdie almost two weeks to come down
off his high.  As my warmblood filly matured she also became an easy
keeper so at least they could eat together.  So yes as Cynthia said,
"Fjords do not have the metabolism of the thoroughbred."